So you want to backup your seed phrase.
Why is this important?
Your recovery seed is the most important aspect of maintaining ownership of your cryptocurrencies.
If you lose (or forget) this seed phrase you won’t be able to restore your wallet if you lose your phone or hardware wallet.
How do you backup your seed phrase?
Most people write it on a piece of paper, and store it in a safe or deposit box.
Is this really safe enough though? We don’t think so.
Here’s what we recommend:
- Open your laptop and create a file with your 12 words seed phrase
- Encrypt this text file using the instructions below
- Place these files into a cloud storage or hardware device (we recommend using cloud services as there is always a chance to lose your HDD or USB stick).
So in order to maximize security of your seed phrase you would need to encrypt it using your Mac computer:
- So you have a text file of your 12 words seed phrase and you’d like to encrypt. This will work for any file-type that gives you the option to “print” a file to PDF.
- Generally speaking, you’ll find this option on the Print window, which you will usually find when you choose Print under the File window. When you get the Print window, look for a little button marked “PDF.” Click it, and choose “Save as PDF.”
3. Before you save the file, be sure to click the “Security Options” button. There you’ll see a variety of ways to go about password-protecting the content.
4. Enter passwords for whatever options you choose, and save.
5. That's it, now your text file is encrypted and only you have access to it.